Dot Mandala Live Workshop Recording - 10 hours
Regular price $7.54
BEFORE YOU BUY, PLEASE NOTE:
These sessions were conducted via livestream in a private Facebook group in May of 2023. All live replays are hosted on YouTube.
After purchasing your ticket to this event, you will receive an email containing a PDF attachment with the links to the recordings of all 6 sessions. Click on each link to be taken to the video on YouTube. Please keep an eye on your Spam or Junk folder if you do not receive the welcome email in your Inbox after purchase.
OK, now, about this recorded workshop.......
In this 10-hour online workshop series, you will learn everything you need to paint two different dot mandala designs, including a circular dot mandala and a modified wrap-around design that would look great on a mug or similar cylindrical item.
1. Tools, Surface Prep & Choosing Paint Colours - 1 hr - I review the supplies you'll need, show you how to choose paint colours, and provide tips for preparing your painting surface.
2. Mixing Custom Paint Colours & Drawing Guidelines - 1 hr - I cover how to mix paint colours and draw guidelines for your mandala.
3. Design walkthrough #1 - 3 hr - I guide you step-by-step through the painting process of a circular mandala design.
4. Design walkthrough #2 - 3 hr - I take you step-by-step through the painting process of a wrap-around dot mandala design for a cylindrical item.
5. Top Dots, Removing Guidelines, & Varnishing - 1 hr - I show you how to remove the guidelines and finish/protect your finished pieces.
6. Painting on Ceramics & Glass - 1 hr - I cover how to paint on ceramics/glass and demonstrate how to paint on a cylindrical item like a mug.
This video series is perfect for dot mandala painters of all experience levels. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced artist, you'll have fun learning new techniques and creating beautiful mandalas.
Below you will find the supplies list. They can also both be found in the "Featured" section of the Private Facebook Group.
Each project is painted on a 4.5" (11.5 cm) wood square. If you are painting on a larger surface, you could easily add on to either design to fill the rest of your space!
80 grit sandpaper
black paint or gesso (or whatever background colour you choose). I use black gesso to help give me the smoothest surface possible.
1 colour of paint, and white paint, accent colour like silver or gold
paint pots or palette to mix paints in
damp cloth to clean your tools
dotting tools - You don’t need a fancy set of tools to create beautiful dot mandalas. Anything with a flat round end, or any pointy tool like a sharp toothpick will work. I started with crochet hooks of different sizes, and I stuck a sewing pin in the end of a pencil eraser, oh, and toothpicks were essential for tiny dots. I use Happy Dotting Company and DIY Mandala Stones tools as my main dotting tools. The largest tool I use in these designs is 13mm, and the smallest in these types of tools is 1.5mm. I also use a set of metal nail dotting stylus tools - check out the photos here for pictures and sizes of my stylus and pointy tools for reference.
Chalk pencil, watercolour pencil, or pencil (least fave), a ruler, a compass, and an eraser for guidelines
small paint brush for correcting changes and touching up the background colour
stir sticks/toothpicks to stir & mix paints
varnish for your finished piece - choose your own adventure here! I prefer matte finishes, but there are lots of great satin and gloss varnishes as well! Liquitex, DecoArt, and FolkArt all have great varnishes available on amazon or at Michaels or the like.
cotton swabs and clean water for removing chalk/watercolour pencil guidelines
comfy clothes, yummy drinks & snacks